Everyone knows that heliskiing is the ultimate skiing experience , but how much better is heli-skiing than lift skiing in Revelstoke? If you can’t decide, we weigh up 5 key considerations below.
- The heliski terrain surrounding Revelstoke gets an average of 40-60ft of snow per year, whereas Revelstoke Mountain Resort (RMR) gets 30-45ft.
- Heliskiing offers 100% fresh, untouched snow so you will ski virgin powder all day long. It is unbeatable in this respect.
- However the lifts at RMR do give you access to some amazing powder bowls and gladed tree skiing, with fantastic conditions. Of course you won’t have exclusive access to the terrain, but RMR is wonderfully uncrowded so the fresh stuff doesn’t get skied out as quickly as in other resorts.
- Selkirk Tangiers Heliskiing has access to 500,000 acres of heliski terrain with over 200 known runs through wide-open glaciers, alpine meadows and the world’s best tree skiing. The size and variety of the terrain speaks for itself.
- RMR has 3121 acres of terrain with 56 runs through high alpine powder bowls, gladed trees and groomed terrain. The resort offers a superb range of terrain for advanced skiers prompting the Telegraph to describe it as “the world’s best skiing”.
- Heliskiing from Bighorn couldn’t be easier as the private helipad at the house means you are just steps away from accessing some of the world’s best heliskiing. You can be at the top of a wilderness peak in a matter of minutes.
- RMR is just a 1-minute drive away in the Bighorn vehicle and the high-speed lifts mean you’ll be at the top in no time. Not quite as fast as in a helicopter, but faster than most other resorts.
- Heli ski runs range from 500-2200 vertical metres, giving you what feels like an endless descent on powder snow.
- Revelstoke Mountain Resort has North America’s highest vertical descent at 1713 metres, making for an incredibly long run by resort standards.
Value for money
- To talk in general figures, lift passes cost $74 per day and heli skiing starts from $797 per day. The additional cost of heliskiing affords you the thrill of flying by helicopter, wilderness terrain, access to the best snow and the fastest lift for maximum vertical.
- Revelstoke Mountain Resort offers a superb alternative with high speed lifts, relatively quiet slopes, exciting terrain and an impressive vertical descent.
In summary, heli skiing is unbeatable, but Revelstoke Mountain Resort also excels on all counts. As a back-up option for down days when the helicopter can’t fly it is superb and means you are guaranteed world-class skiing every day of your trip. The terrain in particular is exciting, varied and uncrowded, making it the perfect complement to the heliski terrain for adventurous skiers. Thankfully, guests at Bighorn get access to both heli and lift skiing allowing them to enjoy both from one base.