It’s been snowing in the Selkirk and Monashee Mountains for a few weeks now, but in the last few days it has been dumping all the way to the base. Check out our video to see the white out at Bighorn. With just 3 weeks until the start of the season, the snow base is looking good and we expect great early winter conditions. Bring on the pow!
Using a new formula to rate ski resorts, Snowbrains.com have named their Top 10 Ski Resorts in North America. Right up there is Revelstoke Mountain Resort, giving long-established resorts such as Whistler and Jackson Hole a run for their money.
Rankings have been created using the following formula:
Ranking = [Average Snowfall + Access to Challenging Terrain] x Radness Factor. We like it!
Revelstoke’s huge annual snowfall (480 inches at the top of Mount Mackenzie), massive inbounds terrain (3121 acres) and North America’s highest vertical descent (5620ft) mean it ranks up there as one of the best ski resorts in the continent. ”Man, this place is amazing. I’d love to get back up here. On a powder day, it seems like there’s nobody here and the terrain’s incredible. I gotta get back.” – Arne Backstrom, 2010 Overall FWT Champion.
Aside from the awesome resort skiing, what sets Revelstoke apart is access to millions of acres of world class heliskiing. The lucky guests at Bighorn can either ski the resort, or take to the skies from the private house helipad. Now that is rad.
This month’s Ski Magazine features an interesting debate on whether heli or cat skiing offers the ultimate powder day experience. Using criteria like cost per vertical foot as well discussing just how much of a powder fix you get, this article is a must-read for anyone considering a heli or cat ski trip next season. Selkirk Tangiers Heli Skiing, with Bighorn, is listed as one of their top 8 heliski tenures in the world and is undoubtedly the best option for those looking to heliski in luxury.
The beauty of Bighorn is that guests get the best of both worlds with awesome heliskiing direct from the house helipad and exciting cat skiing at Revelstoke Mountain Resort, just 1 minute drive away. Since guests have exclusive use of Bighorn for the week, their package can be tailored to include as much heli or cat skiing as they like.
Revelstoke has the world’s best tree skiing. A mixture of tree species, the right amount of snowfall and the lightness of the snow create a powder playground like no other. The old-growth forests that Selkirk Tangiers have in their heli ski tenure are carefully tended so trees are nicely spaced (this is known as ‘glading’). Skiers therefore have exciting lines through the trees and plenty of space to turn. Seasoned heliskiers will argue that whizzing through trees and popping off tree stumps covered in snow pillows rivals high altitude glacier skiing any day. Check out Swedish freestyler Johann Persson ripping through the trees in Revelstoke here
At first tree skiing can be a bit daunting – the thought of skiing into a tree can put you off your stride! Here are our top 5 tips for techniques to ski trees like a pro:
1) Ski the gaps. Look at the white stuff and focus on where you want to ski, not what to avoid. It may sound like common sense, but too may people get preoccupied with looking at trees, which affects their flow of movement.
2) Plan your turns and look ahead. Look through the trees and plan 2 turns in advance. This will help you connect your turns and prevent a turn-stop pattern that zaps your energy.
3) Stay on your feet – by this we mean keep your balance centered above your feet and don’t lean too far back. You might be in deep snow, but your skis will float without you leaning backwards and throwing yourself off balance.
4) Keep your arms in front of you. Not only will this improve your balance and put you in a reactionary position, but also you can brush any small branches out of the way.
5) Take your pole straps off. In the unfortunate case that you take a tumble this will prevent you injuring your wrists and shoulders.
Have fun with it. One of Bighorn’s guests said they could never lose their friends when skiing the trees because of the noisy whoops of joy! We can arrange for you to enjoy a day’s coaching in the trees at Revelstoke Mountain Resort with a top instructor to get you ready to heliski the best tree terrain on Earth. Plus, on a down day when the heli can’t fly, world class tree skiing is always accessible from Bighorn.